Water Infiltration problem in Easley, SC
Roof Roof was called out to this homeowners property because of leaks she had been dealing with for many years. We thoroughly inspected the roof and determined there were several different issues going on.
1.) The roof to wall flashing was not installed properly.
2.) The roof ran directly into the wall at an angle.
3.) The "off the ridge" ridge vent was blocking the water from escaping and therefore backing up in the house
4.) The roof had to of a low slope for just shingles and felt paper
5.) The plywood, board, and batten siding was beginning to rot
6.) Squirrels had chewed through a rotten piece of decking
7.) Carpenter bees had burroughed in the fascia boards
After we determined the issues, we put together an action plan to stop the leaks for good. The homeowner accepted our proposal and we started the project within 2 weeks.
We began by removing the existing roof, siding, and gutters. We then replaced a small amount of fascia and soffit which the squirrel burroughed in (problem 6 fixed). Then, we installed new aluminim fascia and drip edge on all eaves and rakes (problem 7 fixed). Next, we installed ice and water shield on the entire field of the roof (problem 4 fixed). After the self adhering underlayment went down, the shingling began. We installed starter shingles and Owens Corning Oakridge Williamsburg grey shingles. For ventilation, we installed a DCI SmartVent which is an "off the ridge" ridge vent (problem 3 fixed). When we got to the walls, we installed an angled steplflashing to match the angle the roof ran into the wall (problem 1 and 2 fixed). We finished off the roof with a custom fabricated metal cap, mechanically attached with neoprene gasketed screws.
After the roof was completed, we installed vinyl J-channel and new Mastic Vinyl siding to match the rest of the house (problem 5 fixed) The work took 2 days to complete.